Lake Erie Outreach Affiliate will support the work of the Alliance’s education and volunteer efforts, including the Adopt-a-Beach™ Program, on-the-ground volunteer opportunities, and other local projects in and around Buffalo, NY. Support may be needed for other events in Eastern Lake Erie. The Lake Erie Affiliate will work closely with the staff in New York and Ohio on communications, event planning, research, data management and evaluation of our programs.
This is a part-time, temporary, paid position for March – September 2019. Applicants for this position must have college experience. Progressive work experience may be considered in lieu of college experience. This position is based in Buffalo, NY. Applicants must be comfortable with navigating travel in the Buffalo, NY area.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Support the Alliance’s volunteer programs by conducting outreach to new and returning volunteers;
- Provide logistical support to the Adopt-a-Beach™ program by organizing and accurately imputing data from Adopt-a-Beach™, advocacy and special events;
- Assist staff in planning and implementing Adopt-a-Beach™ and special engagement (recreation/social events) to increase interest in the Great Lakes and the Alliance;
- Attend community tabling/speaking events to recruit potential volunteers and expand the Alliance’s presence in the community;
- Conduct online research to support Alliance volunteering programming, with a focus on volunteer management technology and community engagement in communities not currently engaged by the Alliance;
- Meet with park staff to develop relationships, assess needs, promote Adopt-a-Beach™ program;
- Develop and distribute AGL outreach and educational materials (ie: Plastic pollution toolkit, local litter data and visuals);
- Meet with local college/university service learning departments as needed;
- Help with administrative/office tasks as needed.
Eligibility & Qualifications
Affiliates will require a variety of skill sets, but general qualification must include:
- College Experience required. Progressive work experience may be considered in lieu of college experience;
- Experience in community organization, specifically planning and leading events, recruitment and coordination of volunteers, and public engagement in social or environmental issues;
- Good written and verbal communication skills;
- Creative thinker with the ability to proactively translate ideas into on-the-ground actions;
- Experience with Microsoft Office 2010 Suite;
- Ability to work outdoors under variable weather conditions;
- Attraction to mission-driven public interest work and volunteer engagement;
- Availability for Spring – Summer 2019 in Buffalo, NY (start date: week of March 18, end date: September 29).
Individuals interested in the affiliate position should send applications, including:
- Cover letter
- Two professional reference contacts
Candidates will be contacted directly if they are selected for an interview. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please send applications electronically to email@example.com
In the subject line please indicate: Lake Erie Outreach Affiliate