We seek a highly motivated individual to support the Alliance’s volunteer programs, which involve thousands of people each year across all five Great Lakes. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, a collaborator who is comfortable connecting with different types of people, and an energetic motivator with a passion for helping others make a positive change in the world.
The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (the Coordinator) is on the front lines of supporting and engaging volunteers across the Great Lakes region. They will support the Adopt-a-Beach program, which includes the Alliance’s flagship volunteer program that involves about 9,000 volunteers per year on all five Great Lakes and all eight Great Lakes states, and the Ambassador program, a growing “speakers bureau”-type program that currently involves about 100 volunteers per year.
The Coordinator will provide day-to-day logistical support to the Adopt-a-Beach and Ambassador programs, including managing program data and reports, sending program supplies, and event planning and coordination. They will be a key resource for new and returning Adopt-a-Beach volunteers throughout the year, working with volunteers both one-on-one and in group settings to ensure they have the information and tools necessary to host successful events. They will represent the Alliance at cleanups and other community events, expanding the Alliance’s presence in the communities in which we work, with a special emphasis on program expansion and new volunteer recruitment. Additionally, they will support program evaluation and annual program planning.
The Coordinator reports to the Volunteer Engagement Manager and is a member of the Communications and Engagement Team.
The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator works on two distinct volunteer programs – Adopt-a-Beach and Alliance Ambassadors – in the below capacities.
- Provide logistical support to the Adopt-a-Beach program including data entry and reporting; managing and shipping supplies; assisting with program and communications development; and supporting trainings and volunteer appreciation events
- Assist with implementation of Adopt-a-Beach business partnership program by supporting the coordination of sponsored cleanup events
- Provide logistical support of Alliance Ambassador attendance at community events
- Assist with internal tracking of volunteer actions and program participation
- Support expansion and maintenance of the Adopt-a-Beach website, helping to test new features and to troubleshoot issues encountered by volunteers
Communication and Training
- Coordinate and support volunteers in executing Adopt-a-Beach events throughout the year by answering questions and providing technical assistance to current and prospective volunteers (includes managing the Adopt-a-Beach email inbox)
- Support in-person and online trainings for Adopt-a-Beach volunteers and Alliance Ambassadors
- Assist with virtual and in-person monthly engagement activities for Alliance Ambassadors
- Field inquiries from potential volunteers and connect them to the most appropriate volunteer program
- Conduct onboarding, recruitment, and retention activities for Alliance Ambassadors
- Attend and lead Adopt-a-Beach events, primarily in southern Lake Michigan communities, but occasionally elsewhere throughout the Great Lakes region
- Support volunteer recruitment efforts through direct outreach to new and returning volunteers, attending community events, tabling, giving presentations, etc.
- Occasionally attend community events to assist or fill in for Alliance Ambassadors
- Assist with the planning and hosting of other events, student interviews, or presentations as needed
Evaluation and Strategy
- Assist with the creation, delivery and analysis of regular program evaluations and reflections
- Collaborate with other Communications and Engagement staff to ensure volunteer program objectives are met or exceeded
- Confer with Volunteer Engagement Manager throughout annual program and strategic planning processes to shape goals, outcomes, and recruitment strategies
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in social sciences, environmental sciences, or communications preferred.
- One to three years of experience in volunteer coordination and training, community outreach, or developing stakeholder partnerships in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
- Experience motivating and working persuasively with a wide variety of stakeholders of all ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to manage volunteers with a positive and nurturing attitude to produce measurable results.
- Excellent listening, writing, and speaking skills. Must be able to speak publicly in a clear, compelling, and engaging manner.
- Ability to translate complex issues to diverse lay audiences and inspire passion and excitement in volunteers.
- Spanish-speaking and writing skills desirable.
- Attraction to mission-driven public interest work. Knowledge and proficiency in Great Lakes, water or environmental water issues desirable.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
- Data entry and/or database management skills desirable; Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Adhere to and exemplify the Alliance for the Great Lakes values of community, relationships, courage, integrity, optimism and the principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in all our work
- This position is full-time and consistent with Alliance employment policy. The salary range is between $42,000-$47,000 to be commensurate with experience.
- Excellent benefits include health insurance, Paid Time Off, FSA, 401k enrollment after 30-days and much more.
- This position is based in the greater Chicagoland region. Applicants must be able to work from, access supplies, and host meetings at the Alliance’s downtown Chicago office, on average once a week (or more frequently if preferred).
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume and references to: email@example.com.
Include job title in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until March 17, 2023 – we are looking to fill immediately. Materials should be compatible with Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat. Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their materials and further guidance and updates about the hiring process by e-mail, with interviews provided for finalists. No phone inquiries please.
About the Alliance for the Great Lakes
The Alliance for the Great Lakes is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The search process will reinforce the Alliance’s belief that achieving diversity requires an enduring commitment to inclusion that must find full expression in our organizational culture, values, norms, and behaviors.
AGL Operating Principles and Core Values Statement
Our vision is a thriving Great Lakes and healthy water that all life can rely on today and far into the future. We aspire to be a voice for the lakes, and to support the voices of the communities that depend on the lakes and their waters.
The mission of the Alliance for the Great Lakes is to protect, conserve and restore the Great Lakes ensuring healthy water in the lakes and in our communities for all generations of people and wildlife. We advance our mission as advocates for policies that support the lakes and communities by building the research, analysis, and partnerships that motivate action and by educating and uniting people as a voice for the Great Lakes.
For more information about the Alliance’s programs and work, please visit us online at www.greatlakes.org.