Effective Date: July 20, 2011. Last Updated: January 3, 2020.
Types of Information We Collect
The Alliance collects information from you and about you. Here are some examples of the information we may collect:
- Contact Information. For example, when you donate, volunteer, subscribe to email, or take action on an action alert, we may collect your name, mailing address, telephone number and email address. We may also collect your mobile phone number.
- Payment Information. For example, if you make a donation or register for a paid event through our Platform, we may collect your credit card number and billing address.
- Information You Post. We may collect information you post in a public space on our Platform.
- Social Media Information. We may collect information you post on our social media pages. We may also collect your social media profile information and information posted on your page.
- Information You Submit. We may collect information when you create an account on our Platform, sign up to receive email updates from us, or use similar features on our Platform.
- Demographic Information. We may collect your birthdate, age, gender and zip code.
- Device Information. For example, we may collect the type of device you use to access our Platform. We may also collect your device identifier, IP address or mobile operating system.
- Other Information. If you use our website, we may collect information about the browser you are using. We might look at what site you came from, or what site you visit when you leave us.
How We Collect Your Information
Alliance collects your information in different ways. Below are some examples of how we may collect your information.
- Directly From You. For example, when you:
- Register for an account.
- Make a donation through our Platform.
- Sign up to receive promotional communications.
- Participate in one of our campaigns or cleanup events.
- Use the Feedback feature to submit feedback on our Toolkit.
- Sign the Plastic-Free Great Lakes Pledge.
- Interact with Alliance social media pages.
- Passively. For example, when you visit and navigate our Platform on any device. We may also collect information about users over time and across different websites and devices when you use the Platform. Third parties also collect personal information this way on our Platform
- From Third Parties. We may receive information about you from other sources. For example, this may include receiving information from:
- Our business partner, companies that co-sponsor our promotions.
- Social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Family, friends and others who provide your information to us because they think you may be interested in our products and services or they want to share a product or service with you.
- Companies that provide information to supplement what we already know about you. Certain third parties might link your name or email address to other information they have collected.
- By Combining Information. For example, we may:
- Combine information that we collect offline with information we collect through our Platform.
- Combine information we collect about you from the different devices you use to access our Platform.
- Combine information we get from third parties with information we already have about you.
How We Use Your Information
Examples of how we may use your information include:
- To Advertise Our Campaigns and Other Volunteer Opportunities. This could include posting to our online Blog and News page information from cleanup events you have hosted or participated in, including your name, pictures of you, and any quotes you have given about the event.
- To Improve Our Platform. We may use your information to make our Platform better. We may also use your information to customize your experience with us.
- To Understand Your Interests. For example, we may use your information to better understand what campaigns interest you.
- To Respond to Your Requests or Questions. This may include responding to your feedback or inquiries.
- To Communicate With You. We may communicate with you about your account or our relationship. We may also contact you about this Policy or our Platform terms and conditions.
- To Determine Your Eligibility. We may use your information to verify your identity or determine your eligibility to register for an account with us. For example, this may include verifying your age.
- For Marketing Purposes. We may provide you with information about updates on the latest news on the Great Lakes and any opportunities to get involved and volunteer. We may also use your information to send you electronic communications, including through email or text message. For more information about your choices related to these communications, see the Choices section below.
- For Security Purposes. This could include protecting our company and consumers who attend our events and make donations on our Platform. It may also include protecting our Platform.
- As Otherwise Permitted By Law or As We May Notify You.
How We Share Your Information
We may share your information in the following ways:
- We may share your information within our organization.
- On our Platform. For example, we may display your picture or information about your participation in one of our events. We may also display information you submit in connection with a promotion.
- With Our Service Providers. We may share your information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. For example, this may include the payment processors we use in connection with our donation page. It may also include companies that send emails on our behalf or help us run our Platform.
- With Our Business Partners. For example, this may include a third party that co-sponsors a campaign or event.
- With Any Successors to All or Part of Our Organization. For example, if Alliance merges with, acquires or is acquired, or sells a brand or part of its business to another business entity. This may include an asset sale, corporate reorganization or other change of control. We may transfer personal information as a standalone asset or as part of a larger transaction.
- To Comply With the Law or To Protect Ourselves. For example, this could include responding to a court order or subpoena, or in connection with a promotion. It could also include sharing information if a government agency or investigatory body requests. We might share information when we are investigating a potential fraud. This could include fraud we think has occurred during the submission of a donation.
- For Other Reasons We May Describe to You.
Children Under 13
The Platform where this Policy is located is meant for adults. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable data from persons under the age of 13, and strive to comply with the provisions of COPPA (The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act). If you are a parent or legal guardian and think your child under 13 has provided us with information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also write to us at the address listed at the end of this website Policy. Please mark your inquiries “COPPA Information Request.” Parents, you can learn more about how to protect children’s privacy online here.
Choices Regarding Your Information
You have certain choices about how we use your information. Certain choices you make are browser and device specific.
- You can opt out of receiving our marketing communications. To do so, you can follow the opt out instructions included with the communication. Note that you will still receive transactional messages from us, including information about your account and responses to your inquiries.
Cookies & Other Tracking Technologies:
- Your browser may give you the ability to control cookies or other tracking tools. How you do so depends on the type of tool. Certain browsers can be set to reject browser cookies. To control flash cookies, which we may use on certain websites from time to time, you can go here. Why? Because flash cookies cannot be controlled through your browser settings.
Our Do Not Track Policy:
- Some browsers have “do not track” features that allow you to tell a website not to track you. These features are not all uniform. We do not currently respond to those signals. If you block cookies, certain features on our sites may not work. If you block or reject cookies, not all of the tracking described here will stop.
- Options you select are browser and device specific.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you reside in California, you have the right to ask us one time each year if we have shared personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make a request, please send us an email at email@example.com or write to us at the address listed below. Indicate in your email or letter that you are a California resident making a “California Shine the Light” inquiry.
The Internet is not 100% secure. We cannot promise that your use of our Platform will be completely safe. We encourage you to use caution when using the Internet. We use reasonable means to safeguard personal information under our control. A user id and a password are needed to access certain areas of the Alliance Platform. It is your responsibility to protect your username and password.
Storage Of Information
Information we maintain may be stored in or outside of the United States. If you live outside of the United States, you understand and agree that we may transfer your personal information to the United States. This Platform is intended for use in the United States and is subject to the laws of the United States, which may not provide the same level of protections as those in your own country.
Our Platform may contain links to other third party sites that are not governed by this Policy. If you click on a link to a third party site, you will be taken to a site we do not control. We are not responsible for the privacy practices used by third party sites. We suggest that you read the privacy policies of those sites carefully. We are not responsible for these third party sites.
How To Contact Us
If you have any questions, comments or concerns with respect to our privacy practices or this Policy, or wish to update your information, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 1-312-939-0838. You may also write to us at the following address:
Alliance for the Great Lakes
150 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 700
Chicago, IL 60601
Changes In Policy
From time to time, we may change our Policy. We will notify you of any material changes to our Policy as required by law. We will also post an updated copy on our Platform. Please check our Platform periodically for updates.