We envision two broad positive outcomes for people and the lakes:
- People and communities can safely enjoy and rely on all the benefits the lakes have to offer, from safe, affordable drinking water to recreation opportunities such as swimming, boating, and fishing.
- Every community that depends on the lakes is heard and included in the decisions that affect the lakes and their community.
Our approach includes four core strategies. They are:
- Ensuring safe, clean, and affordable drinking water, and protecting the lakes and communities from polluted wastewater and stormwater
- Reducing agricultural pollution
- Stopping invasive species
- Restoring the health and resilience of the Great Lakes
- Safeguarding hard-fought Great Lakes protections
- Building more capacity for Great Lakes protection in communities, using our skills, resources, and expertise in support of local leaders and networks
- Growing a credible and lasting voice for the Great Lakes by motivating tens of thousands of people each year to take action to protect the lakes
Operations & Fundraising
- Supporting a strong staff and board of directors and ensuring fiscal health, which enables the Alliance to advance our mission and vision
Read more about our recent successes and impact.
Our staff are headquartered in Chicago, with additional offices in Michigan, New York, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Washington, DC.
Our Board of Directors represents a wide range of interests and expertise from around the Great Lakes region.
Our work is made possible by our generous supporters.