Teach students about the incredible lakes in their own backyard. Our K-12 educational resources teach core science concepts, improve critical thinking skills, and connect students to their community and their environment.
Get the Full Curriculum
The Great Lakes in My World curricula provides indoor and outdoor activities you can integrate into your classroom. The curricula includes free lesson plans, assessment rubrics, and student journal pages.
- Great Lakes in My World K-8: Our elementary/middle school curriculum includes 80 free lesson plans and covers lakes, sand dunes, wetlands, human communities history and geology. Get the full K-8 curriculum here.
- Great Lakes in My World 9-12: Our high school curriculum includes 17 free lesson plans and focuses on coastal habitats. Get the full 9-12 curriculum here.
- For Chicago-Area Educators: Get a special Calumet Edition of the Great Lakes In My World 9-12 curriculum here.
Featured Lesson Plans & Other Resources
- Our Adopt-a-Beach program offers a service learning, citizen science opportunity at your students’ local beach or shoreline.
- Creature Cards: A printable set of illustrated, educational cards featuring 66 Great Lakes plants and animals. Download printable Creature Cards here. Printing instructions: 1) Select double-sided print, 2) Select “Flip on short edge,” 3) Under page sizing, select “Fit” (rather than “Actual Size”).
Great Lakes in My World activities align with Next Generation Science and Common Core standards. K-8 activities also address state standards in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. See standards alignment.