Looking for a shoreline cleanup near you? Visit our Adopt-a-Beach website.
- This event has passed.
Webinar: Protecting the Great Lakes from Invasive Species – How Ballast Water Regulation Can Help
November 16 @ 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm CST
Aquatic invasive species threaten the environment and the economy of the Great Lakes ecosystem. Ballast water discharge from ships in the Great Lakes is a primary mode of transport for some harmful invasive aquatic species.
How can the U.S. EPA protect the Great Lakes from invasive species? Join us for a discussion with a group of leading advocates, scientists, and issue area experts. We’ll talk about how harmful aquatic invasive species move throughout the lakes; Canada’s experience with regulating ballast water transfers to protect the environment; and what the U.S. EPA needs to do to protect the Great Lakes.
You’ll hear from:
- Marc Gaden, Deputy Executive Secretary, Great Lakes Fishery Commission
- Colin Henein, Manager and Senior Policy Advisor, Transport Canada
- Sarah Bailey, Senior Research Scientist, Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Molly Flanagan, Chief Operating Officer, Alliance for the Great Lakes
- Don Carr, Media Director, Alliance for the Great Lakes (moderator)