Who We Are
Home | Who We Are
• Released groundbreaking report calling for permanent separation of the Great Lakes and Mississippi River basins to prevent inter-basin transfer of Asian carp and other invasive species.
• Helped shepherd historic Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin Water Resources Compact through Great Lakes state legislatures and U.S. Congress.
• Engaged some 10,000 volunteers in six states in our Adopt-a-Beach™ Program, which includes litter removal and monitoring as well as beach health assessment.
• Received the American Bar Association’s Distinguished Achievement Award in Environmental Law and Policy, the first not-for-profit citizen’s group to win the award.
• With government agency partners, mobilized 100,000 signatures to prevent oil giant BP from increasing water pollution at its Whiting, Ind. refinery.
• Our educational program, Great Lakes in My World, is an educator resource for grades K-8 that addresses Common Core and Great Lakes state learning standards. The curriculum's 80-activity educational kit also includes 66 full-color Great Lakes Creatures information cards and an accompanying disc with supplemental materials and resources. More than 1,125 educators have used the curriculum, reaching more than 25,000 students each year.
a history of success >
© 2002-2013 Alliance for the Great Lakes. All Rights Reserved.
17 N. State St., Suite 1390, Chicago, IL 60602